Latest news from NUJ
Dec 13 2019, 11:58 NUJThe NUJ has joined the Guardian and press freedom organisations in welcoming the judge’s preliminary ruling on the case between business man Arron Banks and journalist Carole Cadwalladr.
- Newsquest drops compulsory redundancies in Glasgow after strike threat NUJ The papers involved were The Herald, The Herald on Sunday, the Glasgow Times, The National and The Sunday National.
- Commission on Irish public service broadcasting must have a broader remit, says NUJ NUJ Séamus Dooley, Irish Secretary said a commission limited to public service broadcasting would be a “missed opportunity for a strategic review of all aspects of the media in Ireland”.
- IFJ marks Human Rights Day by highlighting 49 killings of journalists worldwide NUJ This year is on track to be the lowest level of journalists’ killings for almost two decades
- Overwhelming mandate for strike action at Newsquest in Scotland NUJ The ballot covers The Herald, The Herald on Sunday, the Evening Times (recently re-launched as the Glasgow Times), The National and the Sunday National.
- Union condemns prison sentence for NUJ member in Moroccan court NUJ NUJ member Mohammed Elfenich has been sentenced to 8 months in prison and fined £20,000 in a case brought without his knowledge
- Prime Minister shows contempt for journalism, says NUJ leader NUJ Johnson has little regard for the future of the BBC and the creative industries
- BBC Persian makes urgent appeal to UN as harassment spikes during Iran protests NUJ An urgent complaint has been submitted to the UN with anonymised testimony from affected journalists which highlights the gravity of the current situation and threats
- NUJ welcomes decision on RTÉ guide NUJ The proposed sale of the magazine will now not go ahead.